Search This Blog

Sunday, January 30, 2005

Slow Progress

I have fitted the nut, and the first five or so frets. I had to refit the first one as it wouldn't go right in- I think the bottom of the slot had some glue or something in it. This bit is a bit more difficult than I thought!

Sunday, January 23, 2005

Bone Smells!

This afternoon I fitted the nut and made a bone saddle for my new bridge. Bone smells horrible when its worked (especially with power tools), and I also have the BSE question in the back of my mind as I generate clouds of bone dust. I have the vacuum cleaner running the whole time, but still I worry... The nut will be fine I think, but the bridge looks as if it will make the action too high. I may have to remove rather a lot of material from the feet and so will get close to the little winged holes.

Saturday, January 15, 2005

New Bridge

I have just made a new bridge out of hard maple based on the Red Henry design. I will add a bone saddle.

The snail inlay

I decided to put the the snail inlay in the mandola, and I'm glad I did - it didn't work out quite as I had hoped. When I sanded and filed down the silver wire it heated up and lifted out, so it got thinner and thinner. Finally it crumpled up, hence the repaired gap. Still, I've learnt something for the next inlay.

Saturday, January 08, 2005

Machine heads

I have just ordered a set of Schaller Machine heads (M6 mini in chrome) - sixty quid (gulp). Also some bone for the nut and bridge saddle - nut and frets next...

Monday, January 03, 2005

Most of the woodwork is finished

The fretboard is glued on and I've tidied up and chipped off a bit of excess glue. I have found that if I sand the belly up to the edge, the dust from the ebony bindings stains the pine. The scraper seems to work better.

Sunday, January 02, 2005

Fretboard & inlay

I've just glued on the fretboard, so an anxious six hours awaits. Also, I had a play with a an offcut from the Ablam shell. I have found that even a light sanding exposes areas of resin, so I'm going to hold off on inlaying the peghead at the moment.

Fully bound

It's been a productive day in the workshop. I have glued on and scraped down the ebony bindings. It was a bit messy, and there are a couple of very small gaps to fill. Also, it took ages to scrape down the excess, which I will have to remember for the next instrument. I have also made the wooden shim that goes under the fretboard, and shaped the end of the fretboard to match the soundhole.

The peg head inlay

While I was waiting for the glue on the bindings to set I had a crack at the peg head inlay. The spiral is silver wire and the rest is Ablam (shell & resin which comes in a sheet). The coulourful bit is abalone, and the whitish bits are green snail shell.