Search This Blog

Sunday, March 27, 2011


Well... it's done. I had to fiddle about with the tuning, and in the end it seems best in fourths, to a', d', g' and c''. There's a bit of buzz on the open strings - it doesn't spoil the sound, but I wonder if it's originating in the nut. Here it is with my clumsy fingers playing it (bit of a sloppy recording on the computer microphone). It will meet its new owner, my sister, next weekend.

Sunday, March 06, 2011

Tied Frets

The top pair of strings are still missing, but I have now had a go at tying the gut frets. This mostly went well, but I had a couple of breakages (actually the knots slipped and it's impossible to reuse the piece of gut) and I ran out of material! I had to use a length of nylon string as a temporary fix for the seventh fret.

The cittern was dusted off, and I made and fitted the braces to the back.