Sunday, May 31, 2009
Here is the obligatory picture of a host of clothes pegs - in this case affixing the lining. After this the front goes on, so I will have to remember to stick in my maker's label. I also glued the back of the cittern today, with its stripe down the middle.
Sunday, May 17, 2009
This generated a great deal of sawdust, but it's looking quite good. The peghead is longer then the octave mandola to accommodate the ten tuning machines, and the neck is wider to give room for the five sets of strings. The fretboard is going to have a slight radius (30cm) to make this wider neck more comfortable. The strips in the fromt of the picture are the pine linings ready to be bent (these should do both instruments if I don't snap them during the heat bending).
Sunday, May 10, 2009
It was a bit fiddly, but I decided to fit a heel cap to the octave mandola as the walnut back wasn't quite big enough. I made this from some of the macassar ebony that I'm using for the fretboard and peghead veneer. I also fitted the truss rod to the cittern neck.