Search This Blog

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Les Paul gets a body

A busy weekend with loads of sawdust. I took the great slab of ash and sliced it up then adjusted the thickness with my radial arm saw. I then glued the two halves together and after some further planing I cut out the approximate shape on my bandsaw. I used the template as a guide for the pin router and finished it off with the belt sander. Result.

I have been looking of the web at some of the 'chambering' that Gibson use to hollow out their guitars. My lump of ash still weighs a ton and would benefit from a bit of a diet.

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

More Wood

I collected some wood from Goulden Hardwoods today, for the Les Paul. Some ash for the body, and sycamore for the neck. I was also tempted by a lovely piece of walnut (back and/or sides for a mandolin) and some cherry (I don't know where this will end up). Here it is in the back of the car with the body and neck templates on the top of the pile.

Monday, September 21, 2009


I've just ordered one of these...

Sunday, September 20, 2009

What's left to do

I found time today to fit the last of the frets on the octave mandola. It's now pretty much ready to apply the oil finish (just some slots to cut in the nut first). After that, all that remains is to make a bridge, and fit the hardware.

I also made a braiding wheel today - a copy of the one my sister has. Its made from a piece of santos rosewood and seems to work quite well!

Finally, I'm hoping to pick up some wood for the Les Paul on Wednesday - exciting stuff...