Search This Blog

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Ready to nut and fret

I have glued on the fretboard and shaped the neck to fit. After a bit of filling in gaps (I decided I don't like superglue after all - back to good old araldite) the woodwork is pretty much finished. I now need to make the nut, fit the remaining frets and make a bridge. Also, I have decided, in the end, to buy a metal (cast) tailpiece as I'w worried about the force from the eight strings breaking any wooden one. On the left is the the instrument as it stands:

Sunday, August 16, 2009


The fretboard shim has been glued in and I have fitted the position dots into the fretboard. I got these from Small Wonder Music, and they were excellent value. I have also fitted the last eight frets - these will end up over the soundboard, and tapping them in might cause problems if I fit them after the fretboard is glued in place (I learnt this on the last mandolin). I glued the dots in with superglue and used 'kicker' to set it hard - is seemed to work well.

I also made a start on the Les Paul
- only making a body template, but it's a start!

Sunday, August 09, 2009

It's been ages...

...since the last post. The octave now has bindings fitted, top and bottom. I experimented by gluing the bottom set in with superglue, but although it meant I could get on the scraping and sanding straight away, I think I prefer the slower setting 'Extramite' glue. I have also made the fretboard shim so everything's ready to glue on the fretboard itself and finish the neck.

I've also been looking through the plans for the Les Paul copy that I have promised to make for my older son's 21st birthday. I had better get started soon as there's only a year to go...