Search This Blog

Monday, August 27, 2012

Lute form

I finished the bulk of the work on the 'form' for the lute today. It's made from sheets of pine stacked together (I'm saving my lime wood for the mandocello form).

As with the last one I made (the mandolin), I ended up attacking it with all sorts of different tools to try and get the right shape.  The included my block plane, an electric plane, a rasp, a spokeshave, a belt sander, a drum sander on an electric drill, chisels and gouges!

The electric plane and block plane were most effective for roughing it out, and the drum sander was great for  flattening it were the thirteen ribs will go.

On a completely different matter, we found a brown long-eared bat in the garden yesterday, so I took a video...:


video