Search This Blog

Monday, July 14, 2008

Soundhole cut out

I've now cut out the soundhole and the outline of the belly. I've also added some reinforcement on the inside to protect the fragile edge of the soundhole. Next to fit the braces.

Sunday, July 06, 2008


My sister has asked me if I can make her a stringed instrument suitable for playing at a Tudor historical recreation. I have done a bit of research, and the lute looks the most appropriate. However, I'm not ready to do a 'ribbed' bowl back instrument yet, so I will suggest a Gittern. These appeared in the 14th century, and didn't disappear until the 17th or 18th, so she shouldn't get thrown out for having an anachronism! I have also been given an electric guitar (belonging to a friend of my elder son) to fix - a bit of electrics and possibly a new set of frets.


I faced a bit of a challenge putting in the purfling which goes round the soundhole. I had been wondering for a while how to cut a neat oval channel. In the end I made a template out of some 1cm thick oak (from an old drawer side) and used this to guide a mini router. My practise attempt went well, but on the real thing the router bit slipped down while I was cutting and the channel was a bit too deep in one place. Still, no real harm done, and the fitted purfling looks quite good.

I will now cut out the soundhole itself (just inside the purfling, and re-inforce the inside with a strip of sycamore veneer.