The dulcimer is now ready to finish off with Tru-oil. I have put up a sort of gallows in the garage to hang it up for the finishing process. I've tried to make it nice and strong, given what happened with the mandolin! The new pegs (rosewood) arrived and I'm happy that I've made the right decision to use them rather than the (plastic!) adjustable ones. I have had to order a peg shaver though.
Looking ahead, I've been thinking about the next instruments. Currently I'm minded to attack the obsession as follows:
1. Finish off the restoration of the mandolin banjo (I've already cut out the new wood to replace the stuff that went moldy).
2. Make the 'Microlin'. This will be an electronic practice instrument with a built in amplifier - the electronics will be a challenge but I've bought the bits and a beginners electronics starter kit.
3. F-mandolin - So far I've made the mould.
4. Octave mandolin in walnut (following the John Troughton book). Maybe two - why not!