Search This Blog

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Arching (part two)

Starting...
 Here are the results from my first practice run with the overhead pin router. I started with a piece of walnut, fixed with double-sided tape to the holding table. I started the routing with the uppermost contour and proceeded to go deeper each round.

It was pretty straightforward, and reasonably quick. There were a couple of issues to fix, though. First, I need to find a better way to remove the chippings as they tended to find their way under the holding board, giving its movement a 'gritty' feel. Perhaps the answer will be to cut some slots in the table itself and figure out a way of connecting these to my dust extractor.

The second issue was setting the depth of the router cutter, which was a bit fiddly. I think that a threaded rod fitted to the router (one turn per mm) might work, or if I'm feeling extravagant, a digital depth gauge.

...part way through...
I will finish off the back sometime soon and who knows, perhaps a walnut F5 mandolin will form around it!

...all the contours cut

No comments: