Search This Blog

Sunday, May 29, 2022

Looking the part

 

I've been making a fair amount of progress. The main instrument is now complete with binding fitted, and the fretboard glued in place. I sanded down to 600 grit and then finished everything (except the belly and fretboard) with my Chestnut buffing kit . I think it looks great, but I needed to hold on tight while working on it as it is now very smooth and slippy.

I will finish the belly with Renaissance wax and will probably leave the fretboard unfinished (or maybe some Dunlop Oil).

Now that the fretboard is on, I have been able to take some measurements of where the strings will go -  I am aiming for 2.5mm at the 12th fret, and about 0.75mm at the 1st, Unfortunately, this means my bridge is a little too slim, so I will need to raise it a few mm by gluing some walnut/dyed maple underneath (to match the bindings).

No comments: