Making a mandolin, a courting dulcimer and some more mandolins....
Search This Blog
Sunday, April 15, 2012
I made the fretboard from some of the Macassar ebony. Cutting the fret slots was not easy as the saw kept binding in the slot - I wonder if this is a property of the wood. I had to complete the slots with a slim file. I installed the upper frets (including a dab of pva glue) and dressed them. Prior to fitting, I had filed off the little diamond-shaped nubs from the fretwire, but despite this fretboard started to bow alarmingly. However, I know from experience that it is difficult to fit the frets over the belly once the fretboard is place, and that all will be well once it is glued flat.
Finally, I glued the fretboard onto the neck (with hide glue, of course) and clamped it up.