Search This Blog

Monday, January 14, 2013

Inexpensive Bindings

A while ago I bought some binding from Stew Mac. I was really happy with the results, but I thought it was an expensive option at £3.60 a meter (plus shipping and tax!) so I decided to make some of my own. I started by preparing a piece of sycamore about 60cm long by 5cm by 0.5cm. I cut a couple of bits of black stained veneer and one of unstained sycamore (5cm by 60 cm) and laminated a sandwich using Titebond glue. When the glue had set I planed one edge true and then used a small bandsaw to slice off 3mm . I then planed the newly sawed edge of the 'sandwich'  true again and bandsawed off another slice. In the end I had a pile of bindings each with one good face and one rough sawn one. These went through the drum sander to finish them down to 2mm thick and ...voila!

No comments: